Did I mention that I might be “addicted” to dyeing yarn? Well, let’s put that statement in a nicer way. I am very passionate about yarn dyeing. I dyed three skeins yesterday.
The first one was at 5am when I got up. I wanted to try out Sarah Eyre’s variegated technique I learned while taking her recently published class on Craftsy called “Professional Yarn Dyeing at Home”. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a flat roasting pan but was so eagar to dye yarn that I decided to follow the process using my tall stock pot which was a little awkward but I’m glad I had recently purchased some slant tip hair dresser bottles for dye. It made “painting” the yarn much easier.
While I wasn’t happy at the results initially, the color has grown on me. I had been hoping for more saturation in the colors but because the yarn wasn’t soaked first, it did soak up the dye as I’d wanted. However, the mottled effect is actually kind of nice. So here is my result — “Cloudy with a Chance of Rainbows”.
I used Jacquard acid dyes Sun Yellow, Sky Blue and Pink.
Later in the afternoon, I wanted to see what effect I would get if I soaked the yarn first. I also used Jacquard acid dyes of Bright Kelly Green, Royal Blue, and Pink. I believe I had too much liquid (citric acid mixture) in the dye pot because as I painted the dye on, the excess “fell through” to the bottom and swam around the yarn. The result is some really cool color blending. Here is “Light Peacock”.
After things settled down for the evening, I was so excited about the Light Peacock yarn, I wound 256 loops around my niddy noddy using the Franklin Valley Cone yarn. For the size of niddy noddy I have, this is approximately 400 yds/365 m. I had to do some math to calculate the amount of dye I needed for the full skein. Initially, I was going to simply double the dye amounts but knowing I had only used about 1/2 of my prepared green dye and only 1 oz of the prepared blue dye for the Light Peacock, I doubled the pink, reduced the green and simply used about 4 oz of the blue dye.
I am very happy at the results and the colors are more vivid. When I “thought” I was done, I used my cotton ties to pull the yarn out and inspect it. I found some really light areas so I simply put my dye bottle up to the yarn, and drizzled the dye onto the areas I wanted to change. Here is Vivid Peacock. I don’t have a twisted hank picture yet because the yarn is still drying but I wanted to share the color depth!
So now, it’s Saturday morning and I’m debating about what set of colors I’m going to use on my next dye project!